Monday, June 29, 2009

I haven't gone to the gym in a week and I haven't counted any points for Weight Watchers since at *least* Wednesday. This week is probably not going to be one of my greatest in terms of watching my weight, but do I regret anything that happened this week? Heck no!

I've never had a birthday celebration before. Even when I was little... the only real party I had (aside from my 1st birthday, I think) was in 2nd grade and involved Pin the Tail on the Donkey (which I'm not hatin on, by the way). I've never really had anyone plan anything special for me for my birthday... for the past couple years, it's pretty much just been me bothering people and asking them if they'd like to fit in a movie with me that day... and I wound up paying for my ticket.

But this year... it's just so wonderful. I love having my parents visit. I've missed them. As much bitching and moaning I do about my parents... I love them and I really do miss them. I don't want tomorrow to be my last day with them... but I'm so excited for what tomorrow holds. Tomorrow meaning when the sun comes up... because technically... right now it's June 29th, and you know what that means!!! :o)

Today we went to the Mall of America and the most tremendous thing happened... we encountered a booth set up where people were handing out Dr. Pepper... FOR FREE. And I'm talkin cold, full cans of Dr. Pepper. Holy mother of pearl... it was just... glorious. Luminous. Joyful. Not very sorrowful, though (haha. rosary reference! hecka yeahh). My parents don't have a taste for Dr. Pepper... but they each took a can anyway that I stashed in my purse for future use. Oh man. Amazing.

I love cooking for my family. I love drinking wine with my mom and exchanging our drink preferences and realizing that I'm pretty much my mother at this point. I knew it was coming... I could see the storms a-brewin... the winds a-changin... I knew the moment would come where I would look at my reflection in the mirror and see my mother... but I never knew it would come right now... at age 21. I always swore I'd never turn into my mother... that I'd go piss on my own tree, be who I want to be. But nope. You might as well call me Mary Gardner.

It's not a diss on my mom, though. After spending time with her and really truly seeing her as the beautiful and beloved child of God she is (and really... so beautiful... and so strong, too)... realizing that she and I share many odd traits is a huge compliment. An honor.

Today, when I turned 21... I was on Facebook. I was listening to "Falling Slowly" from the Once soundtrack. I wore my green Bennies t-shirt and my favorite pair of blue jeans and my favorite pair of orange socks with snails on them. Yikes. 21. There are pretty much no restrictions on what I can or can't do anymore (except, as my pal Paul so lovingly pointed out, the dream-crusher he is, I cannot be president quite yet).

This has been the most special birthday I can ever remember. And there's still another day left of it. And then a day after that. I'm going to see how far I can stretch these birthday celebrations. Perhaps I can get a whole weeks worth of celebrating in. That would be truly phenomenal.

Anyway. I'm off like a dirty shirt.
Peace,
SG

No comments:

Post a Comment