Sunday, April 18, 2010

solidarity

Tonight I was talking to a friend about the importance of standing in solidarity with the poor. Of course I always knew that it was important, and I learned that standing in solidarity and working for justice issues is a lot more important than simple charity (though don't get me wrong, charity is still important), but it didn't really click "why" until this evening.

You see, last night around midnight I started to develop a super horrible sore throat while driving the bus. It did not get any better even after a cup of tea at the end of my shift, and when I woke up this morning, it literally felt like my throat was on fire, even when I wasn't swallowing or anything. I stayed on the couch all day for the most part, but even so, I felt worse and worse. My nose started to drip a little and my head started to ache and I started to get really tired, and then when I woke up from my first nap, I felt like I got hit by a truck. My muscles were all super achy, I felt really hot, and even my skin hurt. And then my roommate (who is also sick) walked in after a day of studying and I started to complain to her about how I felt, and she said, "I know! Right?" She knew exactly what I felt and she felt it too.

Now my normal approach to sickness is to seek pity from anyone who will give it to me. I like to be babied when I am sick. I like when people say "Poor Sara" and feel my forehead and tell me to drink tea and lay in bed all day. But it was even better when my roommate, upon hearing that I felt like crap, could say, "I know! Right?" Being sick always sucks, but being sick alone sucks even more. Having someone who is on my level and knows how I feel and isn't just offering me pity but also offering me a level of understanding no one else really can at this moment unless they too are sick. She took a hot shower and after getting out told me that I really should take one too, because it really helped her achy muscles too. So I did. And granted we both still feel like crap, but this time around, having someone sick with me is is making me feel less like sitting around on my butt and wallowing in self pity and more like stuffing my sorries in a sack and get better with her.

So that's my schpeel. I'm going to bed. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment